[Tlhingan-hol] Trains

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Nov 22 09:19:03 PST 2012

Likewise. (Canada). I would say that I had to wait for a train at the
level crossing, never for "a locomotive pulling a train". In fact, I
can't write "pulling a train" without being slightly embarrassed by
its slang meaning.

My father was English, but he was fond of the saying, "When God said
brains he thought He said trains, and let them all go by," which
implies that he was also happy to refer to the whole vehicle as a train.

Also, I call the locomotive the "engine" when the train context is
already clear, as in "that train had three engines at the front and
one in the middle," so were I forced to specify the locomotive I
would probably say the luHwI' or the HoSwI' or the vIHmoHwI' and
trust the train context to do the rest.

- Robyn