[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chuH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 8 09:25:48 PST 2012

More Klingon lore about Kahless's {batlh 'etlh}:

KGT 59:  According to Klingon tradition, the first bat'leth was forged by Kahless the Unforgettable, the founder of the Klingon Empire, from a lock of his hair dipped in molten lava. Kahless created the name betleH, meaning sword of honor. The word {betleH} is actually an archaic form. In contemporary Klingon, sword of honor would be {batlh 'etlh}, though this phrase is used almost exclusively as a translation or explanation of the older word, {betleH}.

The first was forged by Kahless from a lock of his own hair which he placed in the lava from the Kri'stak volcano. He then plunged the burning lock into the lake of Lursor, twisted it into a blade and killed the evil tyrant Molor with it. ... The {betleH} wielded by the lord of a great house is called an Honor Blade and is considered the repository of the heart and soul of his or her entire clan." (Star Trek: Continuum Klingon Compendium area: "Klingon Linguistic Studies")

KGT 79f.:  Kahless himself is said to have used his bat'leth, the original "Sword of Honor," to carve a statue for the woman he loved, presumably Lukara.

The bat'leth of Kahless was stolen by the Hur'q and centuries later, recovered by Kor and Worf from the Gamma Quadrant in the 24th century. (DS9 "Reunion"?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons