[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chuH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 7 10:07:26 PST 2012

>>> Klingon word:   chuH
>>> Part of speech: verb
>>> Definition:  1) throw (a spear) at, hurl (a spear) at,

Voragh:
>> Related words:
>> jaD    throw around,  hurl about (v)
>> baQ    toss bat'leth from one hand to the other (v)

Felix Malmenbeck:
> paq'batlh contains no uses of chuH, but it does have a relevant passage:
>  [...]
> ghIq HoSHa'choHpu' moratlh
> QIStaq qul bIQtIqHomDaq
> 'etlhDaj vo' nuch
>
> And Morath's strength was gone,
> The coward threw his sword
> Into the fire streams of Kri'stak.

I might have expected {woD} "throw away" or {jaD} "throw around, hurl about" but as Okrand writes:

KGT 91:  Food that has decayed ... is food that has become inedible and must be thrown away, though it is sometimes given to animals. (Note that {Soj woD} ["He/she throws the food away"], which refers to a regrettable activity, is very different from {Soj jaD} ["He/she throws or hurls the food in the manner of a projectile"], which, under certain circumstances, is considered a reasonable pastime.)

Presumably {vo'} "propel" because Morath had to throw the sword out into the volcano with some force, but not because he considered it garbage to be discarded.  Interestingly, Okrand didn't use {polHa'} "discard" either.

BTW which sword was this?  Did Morath fling it into the volcano to keep Kahless from getting it?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons