[Tlhingan-hol] "Containment field"

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:46:40 PDT 2012

> Fiat Knox:
>> Damn my memory. Has the term "containment field" turned
>> up in canon?  Skybox BoP card maybe?

Voragh:
> Today's WOTD suggests *{weghmeH HoSchem} "confinement forcefield"

{HoSchem} is "energy field", {Surchem} is "force field".  Correct me
if I'm wrong, but I think the "invisible wall"-type thingies in Star
Trek are the latter ("Seal off deck 8 with a force field!"), whereas
the former is something potentially dangerous ("Captain, I detect an
energy field emitted from the wreck of that spaceship.").

Voragh:
> used to confine something inside it - i.e. prevent something from escaping or leaving - not merely contain or have something inside.

What exactly is being contained here?  Is it a substance or a person
(sentient being)?  If the latter, I'd use {Sev} "contain (an enemy)"
rather than {wegh}, e.g., {SevmeH Surchem}.  I think Klingons would
make the distinction between containing something inanimate or neutral
vs. containing something sentient and/or potentially hostile.