[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pav

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue May 29 07:40:54 PDT 2012

Voragh"
>>  potlh De'        priority message

Philip:
> That doesn't seem like a 1:1 translation... unless it was {De' potlh}?
>
> Though I can imagine a scenario where the Klingon has {potlh De'} and
> the English translation has "priority message"... can you provide the
> source for this phrase, perhaps?

I've always been suspicious of that phrase too.  Here's the line from ST5 in my transcription:

VIXIS: HoD, yo' SeHyaH nIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH          (?)
"Captain, new data, hostages on Nimbus III."             [sic]
{Captain, we are receiving a priority message from Operations Command.}

I added the line from J.M. Dillard's novelization in {curly brackets} which appears to reflect an earlier version of David Loughery's screenplay.  It certainly matches the tlhIngan Hol.

Anyone with the DVD care to listen to the line again?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons