[Tlhingan-hol] "Never give up; never surrender"

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon May 28 15:15:07 PDT 2012

While paq'batlh is prose and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, there is this (paq'raD Canto 2, page 101):

loDnI'wI'
bIQeHba'
chaq batlh bIvangqa'laH

My brother, I see your anger,
You might have a chance
To make amends.

...and also, in one stanza, MO uses both a double and a triple adverbial (paq'raD, Canto 8, p. 121):

jatlh 'e' mevDI' qeylIS, lop
chaq tugh batlh Heghmo'
'eu chaq tugh charghmo'

After Kahless's words, they celebrate,
For they may soon die with honor!
For they may soon be victorious!

...and in paq'raD, Canto 17 (p. 151):

jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta'
vaj choDanIS
reH batlh SuvtaHjaj chaH

I have kept my word of honor,
And so should you,
Let endless battle and honor await them!

(this is then repeated in paq'QIH, Canto 3, p. 187, but with ghaH instead of chaH)

...and paq'raD, Canto 23 (p. 167):

Hay'chu' luneHqu'
vaj pe'vIl joqqu'
cha' tlhIngan tIqDu'