[Tlhingan-hol] Typographical conventions

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Tue May 22 06:11:44 PDT 2012

On 5/22/2012 8:53 AM, Robyn Stewart wrote:

> Lieven, have I been confusing the issue  by using asterisks
>
> Sent from a mobile device through a temporary connection.
>
> On 2012-05-22, at 3:50, Lieven Litaer<lieven.litaer at web.de>  wrote:
>
>> Hi, to all,
>>
>> I would like to remind of the convention on how to mark fake words
>> (i.e. using asterisks), because if I am confused, I'm sure that
>> beginners might be even more confused.
>>
>> - I know that *pep'Ir* is not canon,
>> - I know that {pIqarD} is canon,
>> - I do not know if *mI'qoy* is canon.
>>
>> So please tell me the source for it, and remember using asterisks
>> in the future :-)

The common linguist's convention is to use an asterisk before a word or
phrase that is ungrammatical or theoretical. Words being discussed
(rather than used as words) are italicized; on this list because we use
only plain text we wrap such words in curly brackets. Do not wrap these
words in asterisks when they're ungrammatical or theoretical; keep them
in curly brackets and put the asterisk before the opening bracket or
before the word you're marking. On this list, put English translations
in double quotation marks.

For example:

I know that *{pep'Ir} is not canon; I know that {pIqarD} is canon; I do
not know if *{mI'qoy} is canon. If *{pep'Ir} were canon, would I say
{Qel *pep'Ir} or {*pep'Ir Qel}? {'ejDo'} means "starship," but there is
no word *{'ej} "star" or *{Do'} "ship." Linguists theorize that Old
Klingon may have contained a word *{Do'} "ship" which eventually became
Modern Klingon's {Duj} "ship."

http://www.trimboli.name/