[Tlhingan-hol] Dr Pepper [was Re: Klingon Word of the Day: qo'la' 'awje']

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon May 21 07:42:00 PDT 2012

On 5/21/2012 3:52 AM, Michael Roney, Jr. PKT wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM, qurgh lungqIj<qurgh at wizage.net>  wrote:
>>
>> Klingon word: qo'la' 'awje'
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: cola (coke)
>
> Next, does this introduce a new Terran food construction pattern for us to use?

Not really. It's really more of a continuation of a Star Trek (and other
SF) tradition of naming something with a combination alien name English
name to make it at once alien and familiar. For instance, when Evil Kirk
demands Saurian brandy from McCoy, you know at once it's both alcoholic
and alien (or at least foreign).

The TalkNow! terms do this from the Klingon point of view. They relate
an alien (Human) food with something familiar to Klingons, and attach an
English label to it to make it alien. Human soft drinks in general
remind Klingons of {'awje'}, so the kind called in English "cola" gets
rendered {qo'la' 'awje'}.

But it's not a general rule. You can't extrapolate and determine what
Klingons *would* say about something, although if we lack a Klingon term
for a Human food it's probably safe to coin your own words. But it
remains *your* coinage, not something Klingons would necessarily recognize.

http://www.trimboli.name/