[Tlhingan-hol] 'e'mo'

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Sun May 20 20:47:00 PDT 2012

On 5/20/2012 6:19 PM, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> On May 20, 2012, at 10:24 AM, "De'vID
> jonpIn"<de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> ghunchu'wI':
>>> Why not just put the suffix on the verb and not use {'e'} at
>>> all?
>>
>> If I was writing and could revise my sentence, that's what I would
>> do. This came up because I wanted to say something, and I'd already
>> said the first sentence, paused, and then I realised I wanted to
>> add {-mo'} to the first verb and continue with a second part.  I
>> wondered if I could've salvaged the situation by continuing
>> {'e'mo'...}
>
> Same question: why not put {-mo'} on the verb? If, for example, you
> had said {paqwIj tlhappu' jIlwI'}, you could then finish the thought
> with {tlhapmo' vIlaDlaHbe'} instead of a pseudogrammatical {'e'mo'}.

While I agree that *{'e'mo'} doesn't work, I find this answer sounds too
formulaic to feel natural, especially if the repeated verb is more complex.

In any case, in your example you'd have to say {tlhappu'mo' vIlaDlaHbe'}
because the taking was a discrete, completed event, as indicated in the
first sentence.

A more natural-sounding exchange would be:

A: paqwIj tlhappu' jIlwI'.
B: vaj vIlaDlaHbe'.

http://www.trimboli.name/