[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIv

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon May 14 07:35:47 PDT 2012

The existence of the construction «tIv'egh» is a continuing source of bafflement (if that's a word); I have a really har time going from the literal meaning to the actual meaning of "enjoying one's self"; I'd probably just use «tIv».
I suspect it's the result of Marc thinking in English in both instances, but you never know.

It's interesting that in the Quark's bar example, «tIv» appears to be something that's done actively, rather than being just a reflection on an action; it's not "eat and enjoy food" as opposed to "eat the food but don't enjoy it"; it's "eat the food and enjoy it" as opposed to "don't eat the food at all".
Interesting, since when speaking Klingon, I tend to think of performing an action and enjoying it as two separate points of order. I wouldn't say «nay' 'ey vItIv vIneH.» to mean "I'd like to enjoy a good meal"; I'd say «nay' 'ey vISop vIneH.», and after I'd had it I'd comment on whether or not I enjoyed it.