[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cha'pujqut

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 11 07:29:44 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   cha'pujqut
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     dilithium crystal

Used in canon:

cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneH
I want to buy dilithium crystals. PK

cha'pujqutmey vIje' vIneHbej
I DEFINITELY want to buy dilithium crystals! PK

choH lISbogh Hap'e': cha'pujqut
Reaction Moderating Element - Crystalline Dilithium. KBoP

cha'pujqutmey chIm lutamlu'
Drained dilithium crystals are replaced. MKE

"[Dilithium crystal] is the only material known to Federation science to be nonreactive with antimatter when subjected to a high-frequency electromagnetic (EM) field in the megawatt range, rendering it 'porous' to antihydrogen."  [(_Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual_, p.60]

N.B. raw crystals are called {Dom} (radans) [TOS "Elaan of Troyius"].

"The prisoners on Rura Penthe ... mine dilithium, required for warp propulsion systems." (TKW 190)  Dilithium barges make regular deliveries from Rura Penthe. (ENT "Judgment")

cha'puj tlhIlHal vISuch vIneH
I want to visit the dilithium mines. CK

cha'puj vIngevmeH chaw' HInobneS
Give me a permit to sell dilithium, your honor. PK

yuQ SumDaq cha'puj law' Datu'.
Detect large sums of dilithium on nearby planet. MKE

Related words:

cha'puj		dilithium (n)
qut 			crystal (n)
naghboch 		gemstone  (n)