[Tlhingan-hol] translation of a political observation from a Klingon

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu May 10 10:38:25 PDT 2012

I've been asked to translate the following message, ostensibly from a
Klingon observing certain political events happening on Earth.  Please
comment on the translation (but refrain from political commentary if
possible -- my intent is not to discuss the issue it alludes to, which
some people understandably have very strong opinions about, just the
translation -- unless of course you comment in Klingon).

Klingon:

Kahlesste kaase![1] pIpDu' Hutlh Humanpu' 'e' vISov. 'ach tIqDu'
Hutlhlaw' je. qo'wIjDaq bang vIwIvDI' wIvwIj DaqaDchugh, jIH'e'
choqaDbej.  'ej chejlIj SopmeH targhoywIj, chejlIj vIlelqangqu'
jIH'e'.

be' jIHmo' tlhIngan nugh patlhwIj vIbajtaHmeH jISuvqu'taH.  'ach
may'meywIj Suv loD 'e' vIchaw'Qo'.  verengan bochmoHwI' vIrurbe'.  wo'
ngay' lughurmoHmeH cha' maqoch, tlhejchuqtaHvIS Suvchugh,
muSHa'chuqbe''a'?  ngoQvamvaD tlhejchuqtaHvIS Suvchugh cha' chaj,
muSHa'chuqbe''a'?  vabDot ghItlh tetlh tIQDaq qeylIS muSHa' molor 'e'
tu'lu'.

tay' muSHa'taHghach vIq je.  'e' 'omchugh vay', vaj chorDaj poSmoHlu'
'ej notqa' 'uQ'a' mojmeH lomDaj woDlu' 'e' qotlh.

tlhoy Supujmo' chetoy'laHbe'.  meqvammo' recharghpu'be', rut 'e'
vISIv.  Dapvam Doghmo' Seghraj boquvHa'moH.

Doran, wI'mar puqbe'
Qo'noS

[1] {qeylIS ghop} - no' Hol mu'qaD 'oH.

English:

Kahlesste kaase! I knew humans were without spines, but it seems they
have no hearts either. On my world, if you should have a problem with
my choice of mate, then you have a problem with me, and I, for one,
have little problem ripping out your liver and feeding it to my pet
Targ.

Being a female in Klingon Society still means that I must fight hard
for my place. It does not, however, mean that I must allow a male to
fight for me like a wheedling Ferengi. If two males fight together to
the greater honor of the Empire, is that not love? If two females
fight together for the same is that not love? Even in the scrolls it
is said that Molor loved Kahless! Love and battle are one, and any who
would stand in the way of that deserves to be gutted and left for the
carrion birds to feast upon your corpse.

Sometimes I wonder that we have not conquered you, simply because you
are too weak to serve us. You dishonor your race with this
foolishness.

Signed,
Doran, Daughter of W'Mar
Kronos