[Tlhingan-hol] lurkers / KLBC (Klingon Language Beginner's Corner)

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon May 7 10:04:57 PDT 2012

Just to add my sense of history here, the first Grammarian was HoD Qanqor. He wasn't a Beginners' Grammarian. He was THE Grammarian.

He invented the role of BG and appointed the first several of us after negotiating who could best do the task. As his participation on the list waned, BGs started appointing their successors. As a group, we can change traditions as needed.

Being BG is the best way to improve your skills because it forces you to apply them more than casually, both to invent lessons and resources for beginners, and to respond to their inquiries (and deal with their traditional fixation on beginning their first Klingon writings in the form of bad poetry that they insist carries profound meaning). You also get fact-checked by every expert in the language, which will either kill you or make you stronger.

We never got around to replacing Qanqor as general Grammarian, but a small, self-appointed, informal committee has essentially taken on the role with a respectable degree of success. Most members are former BGs who figure that if we haven't earned the right to this role, then who has? What greater credential can one have than a year-long (or longer) test of fire?

Sent from my iPad