[Tlhingan-hol] Variant word order

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Sun May 6 17:12:01 PDT 2012

> > I wonder if we might be seeing a rare construction in which the subject is
> > brought to the front to emphasise it or bring it into focus. Both of these
> > are from pretty heavily emphatic contexts.*
>
>They're also both from invitations.  Perhaps like {-jaj} with toasts,
>{qaS} on invitations follows special grammar.

It could be a little bit like the
Time:
Occasion:
style.

Americans have at least one special rule for invitations. On formal
invitations they spell honour correctly. I have no idea why. Perhaps
when Webster decreed that Americans spelled things without the (u),
the rich had tonnes of "request the honour of your presence"
pre-engraved cards and it became a tradition.

- Qov