[Tlhingan-hol] HeghvIpbe'

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat May 5 15:36:21 PDT 2012

Another story... but this time I'm going to try an experiment, where I
alternate Klingon and English sentences, so readers only have to read
one Klingon sentence at a time.  We'll see how that goes.

nIponDaq qaStaHvIS veS poH, nom veng weH yotbogh mangghom 'ej DanchoH.

During the civil wars in feudal Japan, an invading army would quickly
sweep into a town and take control.

tlhoS wa' vengHom pawDI' mangghom Haw'pu' HochHom.  Haw'be' wa' nuv
neH.  lalDan pIn'a' ghaH.

In one particular village, everyone fled just before the army arrived
- everyone except the Zen master.

Sa' vuQmo' pIn'a'vam qan, vaj chIrgh ghoS Sa'. pIn'a'vam noHmeH ghaH'e' ghoS.

Curious about this old fellow, the general went to the temple to see
for himself what kind of man this master was.

motlh Sa' vuvqu'lu' 'ej ghaHvaD tlhIvHa'qu'lu'. qaSbe'mo' wanI'
pIHbogh Sa', Qay'qu'choH Sa'.

When he wasn't treated with the deference and submissiveness to which
he was accustomed, the general burst into anger.

<qoH!> jatlh, jachtaHvIS 'etlhDaj 'uch 'e' ruchchoH.  jatlh: <porghlIj
chevlaHchu'bogh 'ej chevvIpbe'bogh loD DaqaDtaH 'e' Datlhojbe''a'?>

"You fool," he shouted as he reached for his sword, "don't you realize
you are standing before a man who could run you through without
blinking an eye!"

pIn'a' buQlu'DI' SaHbe'law' pIn'a'.

But despite the threat, the master seemed unmoved.

jottaHvIS jatlh pIn'a': <'ej porghDaj chevlu'chu' 'e' SIQlaHchu'bogh
'ej SIQvIpbe'bogh loD DaqaDtaH 'e' Datlhoj'a'?>

"And do you realize," the master replied calmly, "that you are
standing before a man who can be run through without blinking an eye?"

Notes: I didn't bother trying to translate "civil war" (feel free to
offer your suggestions), I need a consistent term for "Zen master" in
my translations, and I changed the wording of what was spoken to be
more natural in Klingon (and also because I have no simple way of
saying "blink").