[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qo'la' 'awje'

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri May 4 12:50:22 PDT 2012

If I had to try to reconcile them, I'd say it's probably a Term for a family of beverages broader than root beer (maybe containing root beer, maybe just approximately describing it), but less broad than "soft drink".

Seems more likely to me, however, that's it's either a case of Okrand forgetting, or somebody (either vavoy or SuSvaj) mishearing/mistemembering. Neither of the options seem super-likely, though, since the accounts are quite detailed (if either vavoy or SuSvaj heard wrong, it seems they didn't just misinterpret a double negative) and the time span was a bit short for Marc to have forgotten such a detailed account (unless the HolQeD article was written long after the actual interview, that is.
That HolQeD was from June '97 (as far ad I can tell), and qep'a' loSDIch was in July 1997, so it's possible SuSvaj had originally read the HolQeD article, and was then surprised to learn that what he'd learnt was wrong.