[Tlhingan-hol] jupna'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 4 12:21:03 PDT 2012

De'vID jonpIn:
> [1] - what's the difference between {tIgh} and {lurDech}?

Here's what I have inmy notes.  Sometimes it's useful to see how Okrand himself used the English words when Klingon examples are lacking or uninformative:

{lurDech} "tradition"

  qorDu' lurDechmeyna' pab tlhInganpu'
  With strong [Klingon] family traditions... S13

"It should be pointed out that the vocabulary associated with rituals, martial arts, literature, opera, and the like, though some of it may be genuinely archaic, is not considered {mu'mey Doy'} (tired words). Traditions are extremely important in Klingon culture, and the younger generation honors them fully." (KGT 35f)

"The upper classes, for their part, incorporate a few archaic words into their speech. This is true among all age groups in the upper classes. It may be considered a sign of erudition and respect for tradition; it does not represent an aversion to change." (KGT 41)

"It was felt best not to argue with Klingon tradition." (TKD 48, on -Ha')

The Sword of Kahless) is "the most revered item in Klingon tradition". (KCD)

"According to Klingon tradition, the first bat'leth was forged by Kahless the Unforgettable ... Because of the importance of the bat'leth in Klingon tradition, however, they have taken to calling the bat'leth betleH quv..." (KGT 59-60)

{tIgh}  "custom"

  tlhIngan tIgh
  "The Klingon Way" (title) TKW

  tlhIngan tIgh DaHaDrup'a'?
  [Marc Okrand's inscription on books/photos]

"Klingon words for traditional tools and long-standing customs are difficult to translate into English." (TKD 9)

 "Language and culture go together, one reinforcing the other. When one speaks Klingon, one says things in a Klingon way." (Marc Okrand, http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/general/2010/04/02/marc-okrand-inventor-of-klingon-at-gmu-tonight/ )

"You outsiders see only our fierceness, our love of battle. You do not see the {tIgh}, the honor, that shapes our every act." [Gowron, STK 10]

Cf. also {paQDI'norgh} "teachings":

  [Never used by Okrand AFAIK.]

and {quH} "heritage"

  tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
  He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

"Klingons revere their ancestors, respect their elders, and have unparalleled veneration for heritage." (KGT 133)

"Younger Klingons, while accepting their heritage and observing the ancient rites, see some aspects of their elders' behavior and beliefs as, if not obsolete, then just old-fashioned." (KGT 133)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons