[Tlhingan-hol] Question regarding purpose clauses

Lieven Litaer lieven.litaer at web.de
Wed May 2 00:07:09 PDT 2012

Qatlh'a'?

I did not read all the messages, so sorry for repeating something.

I believe the main problem in this translation is the english "it is"
used in many expressions, which does not exist in klingon that way. We
don't think in english what the subject is, but we do in Klingon. Why?

It's raining. What is raining? The sky?
It's time to go.
It's getting dark.
It's not unusual to be feared.
It's nice to meet you. What is nice?

This latter sentence makes me think a little more... what you probably
did in your other messages :-) that is not a "purpose clause", it's a
form of a sentence that does not exist in klingon.
   difficult to hit you? = nice to meet you?
   qaqIpmeH Qatlh'a'?    = qaqIHmeH 'IH'a'?

Just some thoughts, I don't know if it helps nor what the original
question was. ;-)

Lieven.