[Tlhingan-hol] Question regarding purpose clauses

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:34:09 PDT 2012

loghaD:
> Oops; I meant for it to say <maHeghpu'meH qIt'a'>.

This I would understand as, e.g., someone making a suicide pact: "Is
it possible, in order to accomplish that we are dead?"

loghaD:
>>> wej pa' pawmeH vay' DuH'a'?

De'vID:
>> I have no idea how to parse this.  It's gibberish to me.

loghaD:
> That's extremely interesting; it's meant to say "Is it possible that nobody's arrived there yet?".

The best I can get out of that is, "Is it possible, in order to
accomplish that someone hasn't arrived there yet?"  That is, "Can you
arrange a situation where someone hasn't arrived there yet?"  Like
maybe in a romantic comedy where a couple is supposed to meet, but
some outside schemers are conspiring to prevent one partner of the
couple from their rendezvous.  Okay, I'm stretching.  I really have no
idea when someone would utter that sentence.

{wej pa' pawlu'law', qar'a'?}  Or maybe {DuH} can be used as a tag
question: {wej pa' pawlu'law', DuH'a'?}