[Tlhingan-hol] Question regarding purpose clauses

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:20:05 PDT 2012

ghunchu'wI':
>> Your sentences with {DuH} and {qIt}
>> seem like complete gibberish to me, and I'm not sure what you intend
>> them to mean.

loghaD:
> That's VERY interesting to hear, since they come extremely naturally to me.
>
> Assuming you're talking about these two:
>
> QI'tu'Daq maHlaw'taH. maHeghpu' qIt'a'?

"We're apparently in paradise.  Is it possible that we've died?"
({QI'tu'} is the source of creation though; {Suto'vo'qor} is where
honourable warriors go when they die, and {ghe'tor} the dishonourable
ones.)

However, this sentence doesn't have {-meH}.  Also, I think the {qIt}
is extraneous: {maHeghpu''a'} does just as well, and it is
unambiguously grammatical.  I don't see what your sentence adds, other
than apparent grammatical violation.

loghaD:
> wej pa' pawmeH vay' DuH'a'?

I have no idea how to parse this.  It's gibberish to me.