[Tlhingan-hol] Question regarding purpose clauses

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue May 1 11:58:31 PDT 2012

> But the "to hit" in the English is *not* a purpose clause. The full
> sentence is either "Is the target difficult to hit?" or "Is it difficult
> to hit the target?" In neither case does the "to hit" mean "in order to
> hit." (*"Is the target difficult in order to hit?" *"Is it difficult in
> order to hit the target?") Interpreting it this way, you're just trying
> to rationalize away the fact that there is no purpose expressed in this
> sentence

There's a purpose in the Klingon sentence, though: The purpose is hitting it. The question is: How hard will that purpose be to achieve?

> If this explanation and the sheer obvious English bias of the
> translations don't convince you, what would?

To be convinced this doesn't work, I'd need either:

a) …to be convinced that it's absurd for the main clause to be a description of some quality of the means ("it's difficult"), rather than a direct statement of those means ("aiming and shooting").
or
b) ...canonical confirmation that it doesn't work. [Currently, the statement about HotmeH qIt is a good candidate for this; I'm not sure.]

> * Possibility - DuH, qIt
>  - QI'tu'Daq maHlaw'taH. maHeghpu' qIt'a'?
> * Difficulty - Qatlh, ngeD
>  - wIqIpmeH Qatlh'a'?
> * Desirability - QaQ, qaq, qab, nIv, QIv, Do', Do'Ha'...
>  - jatlhlu'meH QaQ, 'ach tamlu'meH qaq.
> * Necessity/Importance - 'ut, potlh, ram
>  - HeghmeH ghaH potlhqu'law'.

Would like to withdraw desirability: That would be a statement about the purpose, not the means.
Not so certain about necessity or importance; probably the same there, too.
Difficulty and possibility still make sense to me, though: That could be seen as a statement about the means, as I see it.