[Tlhingan-hol] To-Be-Constructions

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sat Mar 31 15:01:35 PDT 2012

I prefer {X 'oH pongwIj'e'}, for much the same reasons as others have explained (my name is the topic of the discussion), but canon seems to lean in the other direction. Looking at some examples (from memory, since klingonska.org/canon appears to be down):

Sojvetlh 'oH nuq'e'? ("What is that food?")

Dochvam nuq? ("What's this thing?")

yIH nuq? ("What is a tribble?")

In all of these cases, it seems that the thing you're being asked to describe in more detail is the object.
Going by these example, I'd judge that the best way to ask somebody their name would be {ponglIj nuq?} or {ponglIj 'oH nuq'e'?}