[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIngDagh

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:19:06 PDT 2012

Voragh:
>> The word {HurDagh} refers to any of these stringed instruments, of which
there are several different types, the most commonly found being the
relatively small {Supghew}. The midsize {leSpal} is fairly widely used,
while the large {tIngDagh} is rarely heard except in conjunction with the
performance of an opera.

Philip Newton:
> Is there a pun in {tIngDagh}?
>
> {Supghew} is a "jumping bug" aka {'uku lele} in Hawai'ian, while
> {leSpal} sounds like a Gibson "Les Paul" electric guitar, but I don't
> know what a {tIngDagh} could be.

I don't know about {tIngDagh}, but maybe {HurDagh} is a reference to the
"hurdy gurdy"? Although that's a very specific musical instrument, and not
a word for a type of instrument.

Voragh:
> Hmm, looking at it... [something] + DOG perhaps?

I don't know if this is relevant, but the bridge on such an instrument is
called its "chien" (i.e., dog in French).

{tIng} could mean (the area to the) southwest (which is somewhat like {Hur}
which means outside). Or, it could be the sound a string makes. Or it (and
the word) might be completely meaningless. :-)

The {tIngDagh} is a large stringed instrument which is rarely heard except
in conjunction with the performance of an opera. What would this be? A
violin? A cello? A harp?