[Tlhingan-hol] loafs of bread and fishes

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 00:18:32 PDT 2012

Many years ago, I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about the
Klingon Bible Translation Project, which has since apparently stalled[1]. I
recently came across the article again (it's in a collection called
"Floating Off The Page: The Best Stories from the WSJ's 'Middle Column'").

This passage caught my eye:
<<Consider the line from Mark, “We have five loaves and two fishes.”
Klingon doesn’t have words for loaves or fish. The literal camp uses the
Klingon tIrSoj, which means “grain food,” and bIQHa’Dibah, or “water
animal.” Prof. Proechel, translating the same sentence using things with
which Klingons would be familiar, uses the Klingon vagh ‘Iwchab cha’ ghargh
wIghaj, meaning, “We have only five blood pies and two serpent worms.”>>

DaH {tIr ngogh} wISov 'ej {bIQDep} {ghotI'} je DIqel 'ej wa' wIwIvlaH.

There are a couple of other words that we didn't have before, but which we
do now, and which are needed to translate the Bible: god ({Qun},
supernatural being), forgiveness (expressed as {qeHHa'} in the paq'batlh).

I wonder if the original members of the Klingon Bible Translation Project
are still working on it, and if so, whether they've kept up with the newly
(well, not so new now) learned words?

[1] -
http://www.kli.org/wiki/index.php?Klingon%20Bible%20Translation%20Project