[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: raS

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 28 07:14:28 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   raS
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     table

Used in canon:

raS ngeQ tera'ngan
The Terran bumps into the table. KGT

raSDaq jengva' vItatlh
I return the plate to the table. (st.k 7/99)

Sum raS
I am near the table
["The table is near (me).] (HQ 12/1998)

SoHDaq Sum raS
You are near the table. (HQ 12/1998)

Sum'a' raS
Is the table near (me)? (Am I near the table?) (HQ 12/1998)

HIja'. Sum raS
Yes. The table is near (you). (HQ 12/1998)

ghobe'. jIHDaq Sum raS
No. The table is near me. (HQ 12/1998)

Linguistic notes:

HQ 8.3:  The word for "top" is {yor} ... such as the ... top of a table

Cultural notes:

KGT 99:  Each dish [{nay'}] is brought to the table ({raS}) on a platter ({'elpI'}), usually made of metal... A diner transfers a portion to his or her plate ({jengva'}, though the plural form is {ngop} [plates]), if one is available, by simply grabbing the desired quantity of food with a hand. If the {'elpI'} (serving platter) is not close by, it is quite acceptable to just reach across the table or to walk around the table to a more convenient position... If {ngop} (plates) are provided, they will probably be in a pile somewhere on the table. It is acceptable to reach over and grab one; it is not acceptable to ask someone else to grab a plate and pass it down.

PUN:

tabula rasa? (~mark)

--
Voragh