[Tlhingan-hol] wa'maH cha' jatlhwI'pu' po'qu' chaH 'Iv'e'?

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 06:12:09 PDT 2012

DujanglaHchu'be' vay'. "Fluent" is such a squishy word. The problem is exacerbated by whether you mean "currently fluent" or "have ever been fluent". yoDtargh is a classic example. He was a Beginners' Grammarian. He was quite good. He came to a qep'a', participated generously. His company was much enjoyed. And he was never heard from again. Likely, he is not now fluent, unless he has changed his name and reappeared in some other guise.

I lack the vocabulary to consider myself fluent, and I don't get to listen to anyone speak the language except myself, so if I were to hear someone saying something outside my arbitrarily chosen, small vocabulary, without a lot of context, I'd be totally lost. But, with enough time and a dictionary, I can write or read anything in Klingon that anyone else can read or write, and I can write clearly a wider range of expression than many with more current fluency, and I was one of the first half dozen humans to acquire that level of skill. I have a "Friend of Maltz" certificate hanging on my wall at work. My boss was admiring it just yesterday, wondering what it said. (The English translation is there, but the font is small.)

I have had a larger vocabulary. I lost it due to disuse. My current family situation doesn't lend me much time to practice, and qep'a comes at a really bad time of year for my work. I see myself as a fading elder within the community.

There is little consistency among the group. Finding the boundaries such that one could assign a meaningful number would be impossible.

And for many of us, Kruge had a great line: "Who I am is not important."

Sent from my iPad