[Tlhingan-hol] New Canon - King John Shakespeare

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 21 07:25:35 PDT 2012

Qov:
>> From it I see {bID loD} clearly showing that "half a man" is done in
>> that order

De'vID:
> I'd interpret {bID loD} and {loD bID} slightly differently.
>
> To me, {bID loD} is a "half-man", a man who is half (i.e.,
> he is missing something).
>
> In contrast, {loD bID} is "half of a man", like a body
> missing everything below the waist.
>
> What does "half part of a blessed man" mean?  It doesn't
> mean someone took a blessed man and chopped him in half,
> but a man who isn't yet completely blessed.  The back
> translation takes {bID loD ghaH} to "he is a half man",
> not "he is half [of] a man" - although I suppose the back
> translation isn't necessary drawing such fine distinctions.
>
> So I'm not sure that {bID loD} is "clearly showing" how
> to do "half a man".  Maybe it is, but I'm not convinced.

Lieven:
>>> We have canon from the poster:
>>>  {bID choQ} - "half deck"

For those who don't have it, here's the full quote:

cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck  (KBoP)

We have two new examples from "TalkNow! Klingon":

  yopwaH bID   shorts (pants)
  paH bID 	    skirt

Note that {bID} follows the nouns: e.g. a half-gown", which is a type of dress.  (BTW {paH} is translated "dress" elsewhere in TNK).  Presumably {bID paH} would be "half of a dress" (e.g. a normal sized dress ripped in two, say in a struggle or fit of anger).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons