[Tlhingan-hol] Facebook Translation Project [FTP]: weekdays

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 2 03:24:24 PST 2012

> It is obvious that if MO translated this himself, he did not think about
> international standards, but just did it this way because that's just
> how he's used to do it. (if he were from europe, he'd done it differently).

Actually, I think it's probably more a Jewish thing than an American thing. Indeed, the Hebrew equivalent of Sunday, Yom Rishon (יום ראשון) literally means "first day".

> I suggest to keep weekdays untranslated. It's not "nice" in a visible
> point, but it's the most usable way inside Facebook.

I agree it may be a good mIw ru', but for long-term purposes, since this is going to be a recurring concern, I still argue that the best thing would be to try to develop a consensus on Klingon names for these days, and once there is a consensus, to pass some sort of semi-official list.
I realize canon is very important to many of us (including myself), but it just makes sense to me that the Klingon-speaking community on Earth should decide how to refer to strictly Terran things (and I suspect Mar... I mean, I suspect *Maltz* would agree).