[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Jun 26 08:10:09 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 9:59 AM, David Trimboli <david at trimboli.name> wrote:
> This is where you're considering the {ghoS}ing of the dead Klingon to be an
> inherently aspected action. Aspect is only what we express; it's not
> inherent in objective reality.
>
> In this context, *all* of the following statements are true, but they all
> say something a little different:
>
> ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI'
> ghoSlI' tlhIngan SuvwI'
> ghoStaH tlhIngan SuvwI'
>
> The first says a Klingon warrior is traveling a path. Maybe he meanders a
> bit, maybe he gets lost, maybe he takes breaks from time to time, or maybe
> he marches steadily on. This sentence merely states that travel on a path is
> occurring.

I think we're in complete agreement here. I thought you had said that
a statement without a continuous aspect suffix can not apply to a
continous action, but here you accept that such a statement indeed can
be made if the action is continuous. That's exactly what I've been
saying all along -- you *can* be talking about a continuous action
even if you just say {ghoS}. It's just doesn't matter whether or not
the action is continuous.

-- ghunchu'wI'