[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Mon Jun 25 19:32:21 PDT 2012

On 6/25/2012 9:53 PM, Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh wrote:

> Heghpu'bogh latlhpu' ghuHmoH bey. ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI' maq.
> ...and also serves to warn the
> other dead that a Klingon warrior is coming
>
> {ghoS} here needs {-lI'} or {-taH}. Period. In context there is no other
> possible option if a null type 7 necessarily implies non-continuous and
> non-perfective aspect.

This is not correct. Another appropriate, but not so colloquial,
translation of the phrase {ghoS tlhIngan SuvwI'} is "a Klingon warrior
comes." By choosing another translation, I have tried to excise the
in-progress sense exhibited by the English translation which doesn't
appear in the Klingon. It's not telling you that a Klingon warrior is
making progress toward arriving, or continuously in motion; it's saying
that a Klingon warrior happens to be taking the path that leads to the
other dead. It is stating the warrior's position or condition, and this
is not an inherently continuous idea.

You *could* say {ghoSlI' tlhIngan SuvwI'}, and this would mean "a
Klingon warrior is making progress on the path," and this is a perfectly
reasonable thing to say, but it's not what the card says.

http://www.trimboli.name/