[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

ghunchu'wI' qunchuy at alcaco.net
Sat Jun 23 20:22:37 PDT 2012

On Jun 23, 2012, at 9:35 PM, "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:
> An instructor might bark:
>
> {vIghro''a' yIlol} "strike the Tiger stance!"
>
> {vIghro''a' yIloltaH} "maintain the Tiger stance!"
>
> If you've watched enough martial arts movies, you'll know what the difference is.  You'll also know that if you do one when he means the other, you will be reprimanded.

[I will temporarily suppress my belief that {lol} does not have a transitive meaning.]

I don't watch martial arts movies, so I'll have to take your word for it. But you're apparently arguing on the side that says the suffix is needed when you want to *express* the aspect, and not required when the aspect is unimportant. The first sentence is definitely not commanding the student to have a tendency to be in the pose, or to be in the habit of doing so, or have the pose as a basic attribute of his existence, or whatever else it is that a verb unmarked for aspect is said to indicate. It seems to be commanding something which is inherently an ongoing action, but where the idea of continuous action is not important to call attention to by making it explicit.

The command {yItaD} is likewise none of those things, obviously implies that the one commanded is to maintain his lack of movement, and has the added bonus of being an example from KGT.

-- ghunchu'wI'