[Tlhingan-hol] KLBC: introduction

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Fri Jun 15 09:01:33 PDT 2012

I was waiting for Felix on this, but seeing as Lieven has started,
and Lawrence is unlikely to be intimidated by multiple BGs ...

At 21:05 '?????' 6/14/2012, Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

>rut juHwIj Suchta' qeylIS 'ej tlhIngan Hol wIHaD
>Kahless sometimes visits my house and we study the Klingon language.

{Suchta'} with the perfective aspect indicates that the action is
completed. While you may not be following the current discussion
showing disagreement among experienced speakers on perfective aspect,
I think most would prefer just {Such} here.  The action is neither
continuous nor completed, so it takes no type-7 suffix.

>ghaytan pIj naDev mulegh 'ach Dat ghojwI'pu'wI' nutu'laH
>Likely, you won't see me here often, but you can find my spies everywhere.

This doesn't quite mean what you intended. It says, "Likely he will
often see me here, but my spies he/she/it/they can find us everywhere."

Have another look at the prefix table on page 33 and see if you can
substitute the correct verb prefixes. (I recommend you use the table
itself, not the list in the back of the book).

I suspect you just forgot to use the suffix {-be'} to negate leghbe',
but I suggest you use the adverb {pIjHa'} instead. It's not in TKD,
but Marc has used it elsewhere.

>paqDaq vong Datu' 'ej vay' Sopbogh *tangqa'-targhHom Datu'
>In the book you will find a hypnotist and a "buffalo dog" that can
>eat anything.

vong is the verb hypnotise. To make it into hypnotist, add the suffix
{-wI'}. Note that in Klingon that could also mean a hypnotising *device*.

Felix, this was a brilliant idea. I just love this concept. We should
make it a monthly feature with a little theme for us all to write
SIMPLE sentences on and then to have them corrected in scrupulous KLBC style.

- Qov