[Tlhingan-hol] Lament (Re: A demonstration of aspect we can all follow)

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Wed Jun 13 15:59:43 PDT 2012

At 13:20 '?????' 6/13/2012, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM, David Trimboli
><<mailto:david at trimboli.name>david at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>How about the facts that we're using antiquated
>and buggy software in an outmoded medium,
>discoverable only on an out-of-date website, and
>talking about a topic for which the inspiration
>is no longer present on current television,
>which is generally regarded as difficult, and
>which is always made fun of in the media? The
>only thing we have going for us is that
>nerdliness is generally more accepted these days.
>
>In the real world, we should have a web-based
>forum with a section for only-Klingon and a
>section for grammar, among others. I suggested
>such a forum years ago at a qep'a', but the
>old-fashioned computer-types didn't agree.
>However, I believe that to attract the young,
>you must present yourself in a format they are
>familiar with, and that's web forums.
>
>This is one of the issues the Klingon Assault
>Group faced recently as well. Originally, all
>their communications were done over email
>mailing lists (yahoogroups), but many of our
>younger new members don't use email at all so
>they weren't getting any of the information. We
>were losing members, because they saw nothing coming from the club.
>
>To help fix this issue, I did a total revamp of
>the KAG website and added a forum. At first the
>forums usage was minimal, but now more and more
>of our communications are happening there as
>people find it much easier to converse using that platform.
>
>If the KLI wants to survive, it has a grow and
>adapt to the changing times... Nal Komerex Khesterex.

I don't remember a shootdown of the forums idea
at qep'a'. Oddly I think of forums a little
nostalgically, as I used to use them a lot, but
haven't in years. Are web forums really still what kids these days are doing?

It appears from this discussion that it shouldn't
be a question of whether we should migrate from a
majordomo mailing list to another format, but
rather to what, and who will do it?  My
programming and webdesign skills are purely 20th
century, and I don't have an iPod/iPad developer
kit, but I'm sure someone does.

I can lend to the project my Klingon language
skills, years of experience with pitching
instruction to different levels and learning
styles, and I'd be happy to write and voice
stories and dialogues to support a multimedia
learning environment. I could probably pull
together some costumed folk with passable accents for video, even.

Who has programming skills, platform tools,
project management experience, video editing
talents, or a vision of what we should put together?

- Qov