[Tlhingan-hol] Lament (Re: A demonstration of aspect we can all follow)

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 13 11:20:19 PDT 2012

On 6/13/2012 12:56 PM, De'vID jonpIn wrote:

>> --- On Thu, 6/7/12, David Trimboli and many others wrote:
>>> lots of stuff
>
> ter'eS:
>> If anybody wonders why more newbies don't post here,
>
> This is a problem.  I guess back in the day when there were no or very
> few experts, most of the conversations on the list happened at a
> beginner's or an intermediate level.  It's not that there's a lack of
> beginners, but newbies are intimidated by long posts entirely in
> Klingon (several people have told me this off-list), or long posts in
> English about arcane corner cases of grammar.

How about the facts that we're using antiquated and buggy software in an
outmoded medium, discoverable only on an out-of-date website, and
talking about a topic for which the inspiration is no longer present on
current television, which is generally regarded as difficult, and which
is always made fun of in the media? The only thing we have going for us
is that nerdliness is generally more accepted these days.

> Maybe a solution to this would be to split up the mailing list, and
> have a beginner's list where posts have to have at least as much
> English as Klingon and discussions about controversial or advanced
> points of grammar are now allowed.

If the world worked the way I want it to, we'd have a news server
including kli.klingon, kli.grammar, and kli.support, and sensible
posting guidelines.

In the real world, we should have a web-based forum with a section for
only-Klingon and a section for grammar, among others. I suggested such a
forum years ago at a qep'a', but the old-fashioned computer-types didn't
agree. However, I believe that to attract the young, you must present
yourself in a format they are familiar with, and that's web forums.

http://www.trimboli.name/