[Tlhingan-hol] pIqaD in new Trek book

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 04:50:52 PDT 2012

loghaD:
> Trying to decipher it, I noticed lots of instances of words like "the", "on", "in" and "a". However, it looks to me like most of the stuff in-between is just jibberish, or that the font they used is slightly different from Skybox pIqaD.

Dap bIHbe'bej mu'mey'e'.  lutna' 'oH ghItlh'e'.  DIvI' Hol lo'.  wa'
SuvwI' Qu' bop lut.  Do'Ha' lut bI'reS neH wIghaj.

I've reconstructed the entire text, except for three words I can't
quite read (but for which I have reasonable guesses).  It's the
beginning of a story, and it is coded using the "SkyBox" mapping Quvar
posted earlier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Klingonalphabet.GIF).
 However, there is a little more to it than that: after the mapping
was applied, several substitutions were done.

To reconstruct the text, follow this procedure: first, apply the
normal SkyBox mapping and get as many unaltered words as you can.
You'll also notice that there are a few words which are "almost"
English but not quite: for example, you'll see "hihg council" in the
first sentence.  This means that the mapping "gh -> hg" was made, and
so you make another pass of the text, but this time with the reverse
mapping "hg -> gh" added to the rules.  Each time you do this, you'll
get more and more actual English words, until the entire text is
revealed.

Even in the screen shot, it looks like there is more text than is on
screen.  I hope that the book contains the complete story.  I won't
post the translation, so people can work it out for themselves.

There's nothing new or particularly revealing about the text (since
it's not even in real Klingon).  One tiny interesting tidbit is that
there is a date, given as "the two hundred and thirty second day of
Kahle[ck]".  It looks like the final word is "Kahleck", but maybe
that's because there is a substitution "ck -> ss" which hasn't been
applied yet.  Or perhaps "Kahleck" is the name of a time period,
although 232 days is a bit too long for a month, season, or other
named part of a year (but I don't know that much about Qo'noS and its
seasons).  Another possibility is that the date is relative to the
enthronement of Kahless (the clone) as Emperor, and that the story
takes place beginning on the 232nd day of his reign.