[Tlhingan-hol] Fwd: Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 19:04:42 PDT 2012

André Müller:
> Aspect, tense and the interaction of the two (as in English) are really damn
> complex. I read the famous book on Tense and Aspect by Bernard Comrie, but
> still I feel always unsure about them. I'm waiting for a consense in this
> discussion. ;)

Speaking of Comrie:
<A perfective form often indicates the completion of a situation when
it is explicitly contrasted with an imperfective form: since the
imperfective indicates a situation in progress, and since the
perfective indicates a situation which has an end, the only new
semantic element introduced by the perfective is that of the
termination of the situation, as in Russian "on dolgo ugovarival
(Ipfv.) menja, no ne ugovoril (Pfv.)" 'he persuaded (Ipfv.) me for a
long time, but didn't persuade (Pfv.) me', i.e., 'he spent a long time
trying to persuade me, but didn't actually persuade me'.> -- Bernard
Comrie, _Aspect: An Introduction to the Study of Verbal Aspect and
Related Problems_, p. 19.

qaStaHvIS poH nI' mupon 'ach muponpu'be'.