[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

seruq seruq at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 8 23:50:21 PDT 2012

cha'Hu' lengpu' ghaH.
Does this mean that the traveling occurred all within a twenty-four hour period,
two days ago?
What if he had been traveling for three days, but it was two days ago when he
completed the traveling?
cha'Hu' lengpu' ghaH.  qaStaHvIS wej jaj leng.

cha'Hu' leng ghaH - To me, this one means the traveling took place within a
twenty-four hour period.

cha'Hu' lengchoH ghaH - He started sometime two days ago.  When did he complete
it?  Don't know; doesn't say.

cha'Hu' lengpu' ghaH - Two days ago his travels came to an end.  When did he
start?  Don't know; doesn't say.

loSHu' lengchoH.  cha'Hu' lengpu'.  ...wejHu' lengtaH.

Some verbs (hit, kill, explode, shoot) do start and stop within a timestamp.
They do not occur during a length of time.

If in a -pu'/-ta' the timestamp does mean that it starts and is completed within
that timestamp, then does that mean if the traveling occurred in one day, we are
ok; if it occurred in one week, we are ok; if it occurred in one month, we are
ok, because we have timestamps for such spans of time?  But if the traveling
occurred from four days ago to two days ago, then we have to recast, because how
would we write a timestamp that means from four days ago to two days ago?

I'm not arguing a point.  It's just that many of these arguments... er,
discussions, tend to cause me to become confused.  Fortunately, colloquial usage
(in the Earth languages I played in anyways) has more flexibility than the
formal/proper structure of that language.
(I didn't read EVERY word of this particular discussion, so I may have missed
something.  The part I did read talked about the entirety of a -pu'/-ta' event
in the timestamp.)

DloraH