[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qay'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 8 07:52:27 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   Qay'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition:     blow one's top

Never used in canon.

HQ 10.2:11:  the phonetic identity of {Qay'} "use the little toe" and {Qay'} "blow one's top, lose one's temper" is probably not accidental, as evidenced by the idiomatic expression {'oy'qu' Qay'wI'wIj}, literally "my little toe aches a lot", which means "I'm extremely angry".

Cultural notes:

TKW 196:  For Klingons, anger is definitely not a negative emotion. On the contrary, it can trigger acts of honor, energize battles, or prompt one to achieve one's goals. It provides motivation for further action and, since taking action is central to a Klingons well-being, the overall effect is one of stimulation, elation, and excitement. One's outrage should not lead to recklessness, however, for careless action will interfere with one's ultimate success.

Related words:

QeH 		be angry, be mad (v)
qeH 		resent (v)
qej 		be grouchy, be mean (v)