[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 8 00:16:39 PDT 2012

I've been largely staying out of this argument for a number of reasons, mainly the
fact that it's got heated more than once and I'm not up for a seriously protracted
argument. However, there's one minor tangential point that canon doesn't back up.

ghItlhpu' SuStel, jatlh:
> puchpa'Daq jIHtaH
> I was in the bathroom.
> I was inhabiting the bathroom over a span of time.
> **Note that whenever Okrand uses -Daq <pro> to describe the location of
> a movable object, he uses {-taH}, whereas whenever he describes the
> location of a permanent object he uses no aspect suffix.**

Not quite "whenever". Skybox card S27 has {-taH} on a permanent object:

pa' 'oHtaH vaS'a''e'
The Great Hall is there

Also, arguably (depending on how permanent you consider Deep Space Nine to be),
from S99:

He ghoSlu'bogh retlhDaq 'oHtaH
It (Deep Space Nine) lies beside a path which is travelled...

And in contrast, {-taH} seems never to be used in a question with {nuqDaq}, whether
or not the object is moveable:

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?
Where is the toilet? (CK)

nuqDaq 'oH jengva''e'?