[Tlhingan-hol] A demonstration of aspect we can all follow

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Thu Jun 7 13:57:05 PDT 2012

At 14:42 '?????' 6/7/2012, you wrote:
>On 6/7/2012 4:08 PM, Qov wrote:
>>jaj Hoch qama' vIyu'lI'. Hoch De' vISuqta' 'e' wuqDI' ra'wI'wI',
>>qama' vIHoHta' 'ej 'uQ vISopmeH jImejpu'.
>>
>>DaparHa''a'?
>
>Everything except possibly the {vISuqta'}. If you meant to say "When
>my commander decided that I had acquired all the information," then
>you're employing past perfect tense.

I didn't translate it, and I wrote it in a language that doesn't have
tense, so I didn't use past perfect tense at all.

>  If you mean something like "When my commander decided that I had
> started and completed acquiring all the information," then I'd
> accept it, although it seems a strange way to say it.

It is in English. Maybe for English we'd go noun-based and say, "When
my commander decided the data acquisition was complete." I have to
agree with charghwI's frustration here that it seems unnecessary to
bring the beginning of the action into this. Would the sentence be
different for you if the first shift had started interrogating the
prisoner and then gone for breakfast and this guy came on for the
relief shift and finished the job? Not to me. I don't really care
what the English might be, just that the boss says they've got all
the info and they can go and have qagh Qop sandwiches now.  I'll have
to go back and re-read your arguments to see how you justify that the
beginning of the action needs to be in the time period.

>I'm not sure what the alternative is, though.

At least that means you're not going to come up with a different way
to say it. mayajchuqmo' jIyon.