[Tlhingan-hol] Time and Type 7 verb suffixes

lojmIt tI'wI'nuv lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 08:54:03 PDT 2012

I wrote a bunch of stuff in line, responding to each thing SuStel wrote back. I'm concerned that the burden of the length of the discussion is abusive to the general list, so I'm cutting to the chase.

To SuStel:

1. Okrand's use of the perfective is focused on the end of the action. It doesn't mention the totality of the action. It definitely does not touch on the beginning of the action or its duration. Your definition of the grammatical perfective includes the entire span of the action, including the beginning. While this may be completely accurate in other contexts, there is no evidence in TKD or in canon that Okrand's version of the perfective aspect involves anything except for the moment of completion of the action. It's all about the goal or the end point.

I'm not going to quote TKD. Just read it. I did. I looked for evidence to support your argument. I couldn't find any. I'm open to your pointing out something that I missed.

2. You have come to a conclusion about a specific class of meanings that must be applied to every instance of a verb being used without a Type 7 suffix that is unique and unjustified.

I used the words "inflexible" and "absolute" in response to your use of the word "required", which doesn't match "usually" in TKD very well, and your use of "cannot" when describing your personal restrictions on what a verb without a Type 7 suffix is allowed to mean.

{wa'Hu' 'uQ vISop.}

I don't believe that is a grammatical error, even though it describes a single event that occurred in its entirety during the time span of the time stamp. I honestly believe you are the only person in the Universe who might claim that it is an error because it lacks {-pu'}.

This is as concise as I can make it, and I'm not convinced that saying more really clarifies much.