[Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: toQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 25 07:40:43 PDT 2012

> Klingon word:   toQ
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition:     a bird of prey

Used for vulture in GILGAMESH.

  "When I met Okrand at BabelCon in April, we 'purchased' him at the slave auction. His 'official' duty was to clarify one word: {toQDuj} 'bird of prey (type of ship)'. According to Marc, a {toQ} is an avian predator on the Homeworld whose closest Terran analog would be a bird of prey. When I told him I had theorized that {toQ} might mean 'scout' (since that's what a BoP is) he said no, it's definitely an animal from {Qo'noS} ... a Klingon avian analogous to a Terran bird of prey. {toQ} does not literally mean 'bird of prey', it's merely one type of creature which exhibits characteristics similar to that grouping of Terran birds."  [Bill Willmerdinger at BabelCon 2, April 1997]

See also the extensive discussion of {bo'Degh} "bird" in HQ 10.4.]

Cf. also {qISa'ruj} Raptor (ship class) & {tlharghDuj} "scout (ship)".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons