[Tlhingan-hol] Weather infinitives

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 12:09:51 PDT 2012

loghaD:
> WRT "clouds raining cats and dogs":
> I'd forgotten about this comment. It's somewhat contradicted by this sentence in paq'batlh:
>
> ghIq QavwI'chaj DuQchu'
> qeylIS betleH
> chaHDaq SIStaHvIS negh 'Iw
>
> Then Kahless's bat'leth
> Pierced the last of them,
> Showered with the soldiers' blood.
>
> [paq'batlh - paq'raD, Canto 13, Stanza 5 (p136-137)]
>
> Here, the rain material is the subject of SIS, not the object.
> I suppose one could argue that that's also the case in a sentence like {SIS 'engmey}, since the rain that falls down is basically cloud residue.

So the subject comes apart and is sprayed as the object?  vaQqu'mo'
SuvwI', Dat porghHommey SIS jaghpu'Daj.

> Starting to wonder if the Klingons have a separate word for "hail", or if they just use SIS or peD with a different subject/object.

{chuch SIS} "it rains ice", {chuch SIS 'eng} "the cloud rains ice"?

I wonder if it's possible to say {ghay' 'eng} "the cloud sprays,
bombards", to indicate something like torrential rain.  Indeed, I
wonder if there are "weather words" at all in Klingon, or if words
used for weather in Klingon aren't just general purpose words which
happen to be used for weather phenomenon in context.  For example, we
know {jev} means "wheeze, breathe noisily", and from the {paq'batlh}
example {SIS} can mean something like "shower, splatter, spray".  (Of
course in English "rain" can also mean those things, but I think in
the case of English what's happening is in the other direction: "rain"
is a weather word, which is used in situations analogous to rain
falling.)