[Tlhingan-hol] Weather infinitives

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 01:01:22 PDT 2012

De'vID:
> And don't forget Sonnet 116, where {jev} has {mud} as its subject.

According to the thread (
http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2012/March/msg00158.html ), there were
two poems and MO did the translation for one of them.  MO wrote:
"Here's what we came up with. (By "we," I mean a friend who's an
expert Klingon speaker and I. He did one; I did the other.)"

So this may or may not have been written by MO, but even if he didn't
do this one he looked it over and approved it.

The relevant part is:
    jevqu'taHvIS muD ral, bejlI' parmaq.
    Qombe'! nISbe' jevwI', 'ej not ruS baq.

This seems to corroborate that weather words have subjects.
Specifically, {jev} has the subject {muD}.

The complete text, for reference:

Sonnet 116

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
admit impediments. Love is not love
which alters when it alteration finds,
or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh, no! It is an ever-fixed mark.
That looks on tempests and is never shaken.

yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
nge'wI' rurQo' bangna'; SIHlu'be'chu'.
parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
ghobe'! qarbejbogh DoDvam qontaH 'u'
jevqu'taHvIS muD ral, bejlI' parmaq.
Qombe'! nISbe' jevwI', 'ej not ruS baq.

Let me prevent that anything sabotage the mutual joining of loyal minds.
A real lover refuses to be like a remover; (s)he is completely unbent.
Very true[ly] nothing changes love when its acceptance finds change.
No! The universe records these coordinates which are definitely accurate.
While the violent atmosphere storms, love still watches.
It does not tremble! The storm does not disrupt it, and it never
terminates the bond.