[Tlhingan-hol] Weather infinitives

David Trimboli david at trimboli.name
Wed Jul 18 11:13:10 PDT 2012

DaH naDev SISchoH. Do'Ha' ghaytan much QoQ ghomwIj* net qIl. Hoch DIS,
qaStaHvIS cha' jar vaghlogh mamuch. ghaytan DISvam wa' much wIjeghnIS.

I was thinking about how Okrand side-stepped the issue of the subject of
SIS (and peD) by simply looking up and saying, {SIS!} Although Klingon
has no inflection for infinitives†, I wonder if speaking of the weather
is done by treating the weather-verb as an infinitive.

In English we avoid the infinitive by adding a dummy subject, "it."
Klingon might also be treating this as an infinitive verb, but without a
form for infinitive it just uses the verb without a subject.

*
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntington-Community-Band-Huntington-NY/93878881286>
gheb vIchu'.
† That is, using a verb that is not limited to a particular subject.
http://www.trimboli.name/