[Tlhingan-hol] nuq bop bom: 'ay' cha'vatlh cha'maH cha': 'omwI'pu'

Robyn Stewart robyn at flyingstart.ca
Mon Jul 16 04:24:06 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-16, at 0:21, "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Qov:
>
> Maybe use a verb like {Da} or {'oS} instead of {chaH}?

Doesn't express the idea adequately.

> ghunchu'wI':
> >> munuQ <neH> lo'vam.
> >>
> >> Whenever I write something like this, I usually end up changing it to
> >> put {neH} after the object instead of after the pronoun. On the other
> >> hand, when I write it that way in the first place, I often end up
> >> changing it to be the way you wrote it. Do you want to trivialize the
> >> idea of "be her weapons", or do you want to say they are her weapons
> >> and nothing more? I have the feeling there is an important distinction
> >> to be made between the two. My inclination today is not to trivialize
> >> the "to be", and I think {neH} should be moved.
> >>
> >> Does that make sense?
>
> {nuHmeyDaj neH chaH}
>
> Which applies first, the {neH} or the {-Daj}?  Can this be read as "they're her only weapons (and she has no other weapon)"?  (And if not, how would one express this latter idea?)
>
> I read the above as "they're only her weapons", "they're her weapons and they're not anything else", in a literal sense.
>  Is this literally the case,

Well yes, they are her weapons.

> or does she merely treat them or think of them that way?  I think the English "they're only her X" is idiomatic for "they're merely X to her", but this idiom may not carry into Klingon.
>
> I think {ghaHvaD nuHmey neH chaH} is clearer.

I still read that too easily as "they want weapons for her." but as the structure is clearly an issue for multiple people, I will change the sentence. Perhaps "nuvpu' leghbe'. nuHmey neH legh."

> Qov:
> > yaj. It's the way it is because I don't want it read as "They want her weapons.". To my understanding, neH after a boy trivializes the noun and after a verb, the whole phrase.
>
> Boy?

Probably noun. Think iPhone in cab. (or  in the current case iPhone in bed during 4 am weather check.