[Tlhingan-hol] "I have kept my word of honor"

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Jul 10 12:11:01 PDT 2012

Some more instances of {pab}, {'Ip} and {lay'}:

tugh 'Ipvetlh Dapab DaneH'a'?
"Would you like to keep that promise very soon?"
[paq'batlh, paq'yav, Canto 3, Stanza 3; p.60-61]

nablIj yIpab
"You may go on as planned"
[paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 16 (lay' qotar), Stanza 4; p.144-145]

bIlay'DI' qaHarbe'
[...]
jIlay'DI' reH batlh jIpabchugh
Qapla'meywIj Hoch vIta'ta' 'e' DaHar'a'
"Your word means nothing to me,
[...]
Did you think that my word of honor
Would have carried me this far?"
[paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 19, Stanza 5; p.156-157]

bIleghlaH jIlay'ta' 'ej batlh jIpabta'
"As you see, I have kept my word"
[paq'batlh, paq'QIH, Canto 5, Stanza 2; p.192-193]

>>    not lay'Ha' tlhIngan
>>    No Klingon ever breaks his word. TKW
> This is interesting. It's "undo a promise," not "go against a promise"
> or "fail to fulfill a promise." It says the promise exists and then is
> undone, not that something is done that is contrary to the promise,
> which is usually what is meant by the English "break his word."

It can also mean something like "A Klingon never mis-promises". Assuming it's not an error (or retconning if if it is), could it be that it means that a Klingon never makes a promise they won't keep; "A Klingon never makes a promise he/she won't keep."
The English translation, then, is just an approximation of that, shifting focus from the act of making a promise (which is destined to be broken) to the act of breaking it?