[Tlhingan-hol] More new words from Maltz

Qov robyn at flyingstart.ca
Tue Jan 31 09:15:30 PST 2012

Hey, the informant is a gullible gunner, not a topologist, not a
mathematician, not a biologist (I'm convinced that if he knew the
distinction between a vein and an artery, that Marc just didn't think
to quiz him on whether an 'aD spurts or leaks blood when you cut it)
and not a linguist. matlh has no idea what really makes a qung a qung
and a QemjIq a QemjIq. He just knows them when he sees them. He's
probably given us a smattering of vulgar misinformation, embedding
shibboleths in any would-be Federation-trained spies. Much of what we
say is going to be wrong register, wrong word, unknown exception and
the like, but we can get it done.

I remember a young doctor in Leningrad telling me that, "In this
kladbishche lie the cadavers of many important persons."

Kladbishche is cemetary. He didn't know the word in English, but knew
I knew the Russian because I had just used it. We were speaking each
other's language for the practice. He knew through his studies the
specific English word for "dead human body." He had no idea that it
was restricted to the context of medical dissection. I mean who would
guess that we had a word that specialized? It's still not as cool a
word as the English one meaning "to remove dead flesh from living"
but we still have cool words.

Sure, try to pin down meanings, try to avoid using words where we're
told they don't fit. Don't use words in a way that makes Klingon
English, but don't hurt yourself trying to avoid embarrassing
situations. Case in point from the same trip to Russia: I knew a
Russian word denoting "male  roommate."  I knew a suffix useful for
converting words denoting males to the female form. I boldly asked
the desk clerk if my lesbian lover was in the room. One has no way of
knowing these things. Speak boldly and keep your betleH sharp.

:-)

- Qov