[Tlhingan-hol] qo''e' tu'bogh pagh - 'ay' chorgh

Rohan Fenwick - QeS 'utlh qeslagh at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 28 22:50:59 PST 2012

ghItlhpu' De'vID, jatlh:
> Does anyone want to volunteer to translate this next chunk?  Or, how about if we do it by committee?

jIjeSqang jIH.

taH:
> I found it really hard to express some of these ideas: "nature abhors a vacuum", "turning points in history", "the universe unfolds", "logic is the beginning of wisdom"... yikes.

Yikes indeed. Challenging! I'll give you my take on the whole passage, ghIq DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH.

> SPOCK: You've done well, Valeris. As your sponsor at the Academy I've followed your career with satisfaction. And as a Vulcan, you have exceeded my expectations.
Assuming that "As a Vulcan" is referring to Spock, since he's just talked about himself in the "as your sponsor at the Academy" phrase:

SPOCK: bIQapchu'pu', Valeris. 'ampaSvaD naDwI'lI' jIH; vaj naDwI'lI' yontaH Qu'meylIj. 'ej vulqangan jIH; vaj chavlIj pov law' chav vIpIHbogh pov puS.

> VALERIS: I do not understand this representation.

> (referring to a painting on the wall)
VALERIS: mIlloghvam vIyajbe'.

I agree that though {nagh beQ} is obviously the best word for the artwork itself, {mIllogh} is better here to translate what Valeris says.

> SPOCK: It's a depiction from ancient Earth mythology. 'The Expulsion from Paradise.'
SPOCK: tera' wIch tIQ bey' 'oH. {QI'tu'vo' lumejmoHlu'}. (Assuming that the Expulsion is that of Adam and Eve, therefore plural.)

> VALERIS: Why keep it in your quarters?

VALERIS: qatlh pa'lIj Dapol?

> SPOCK: To be a reminder to me that all things end.

SPOCK: Dor Hoch 'e' muqawmoH.

> VALERIS: It is of endings that I wish to speak. Sir, I address you as a kindred intellect.

VALERIS: Dormo' vay' qajatlh vIneH. qaH, yablIjvaD QummeH yabwIj qajatlh.
> Do you not recognise ...that a turning point has been reached in the affairs of the Federation?
I think I'd recast this fairly heavily.

VALERIS: DaH DIvI' qaD wIv potlh 'e' Daghovbe''a'?
"Do you not recognise that an important choice now challenges the Federation?"

> SPOCK: History is replete with turning points, Lieutenant. You must have faith.
SPOCK: wIv potlhmo' buy'chu' qun, Sogh. bIHarnIS.

> VALERIS: Faith?
VALERIS: nuq vIHarnIS?

> SPOCK: That the universe will unfold as it should.
SPOCK: 'u' San lupab 'u' wanI' 'e' DaHarnIS.

> VALERIS: But is this logical? Surely we must...
VALERIS: 'e' wImeqlaH'a'? meqmo'...

> SPOCK: Logic? ...Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end. ...This will be my final voyage on board this vessel as a member of her crew.
SPOCK: meq? mameqDI', Valeris, Sov bI'reS wItu', Sov bertlham wItu'be'. Dujvam beq vIgheSmeH Qu' Qav 'oH Qu'vam'e'.

> Nature abhors a vacuum. I intend you to replace me.
choqa' 'e' vIHech. (You now have a bundle of suggestions for "Nature abhors a vacuum" - take your pick.)

> VALERIS: I could only succeed you, sir.

VALERIS: qacho'laH neH, qaH. (Actually, that's a lovely bit of wordplay between {choqa'} "you replace me" and {qacho'} "I succeed you".)

> UHURA (on intercom): Now hear this. All officers to the bridge.

> Klingon battle cruiser off the port bow. All officers to the bridge.
UHURA: DaH peqIm. Hoch yaS, SIbI' meH jaH. Duj poSDaq tlhIngan may'Duj. SIbI' meH jaH.

QeS 'utlh