[Tlhingan-hol] Hoghvam qaSpu' 2012-01-24

De'vID jonpIn de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 09:30:43 PST 2012

loghaD:
>> Somehow I'd gotten into my head that I'd seen {<number> DIl} and been
frustrated by it, but I've now gone through the box, the board and every
card of the game, and I can't find anything like it.

>> Most likely, I got confused due to the existence of the word qav'ap,
meaning "rent" (noun), and phrases such as {ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.}
(Pay the special rent to the owner. [Special in the sense that it's twice
the normal rent.])

Qov:
> I would think that if you could pay {qav'ap le'} you could pay {cha'maH
DarSeq}.

But is {qav'ap} something that you "pay (for)", or something that you "pay
(out)"?   In English, we don't distinguish between the two, nor do we
usually distinguish between "amount owed" and "amount paid out".   For
example, when we "pay the rent", we "pay (for) the rent owed" and we "pay
(out) the rent money".  While {DIl} can be used for the former, it's not
clear that {DIl} can be used for the latter.